Week 3A: Communication Between Business & Customer

The whole point of Chapter 1 in Likeable Social Media was the fact that listening plays a HUGE role in how effective social media can be for businesses and brands. The book brought up some interesting points that seem so obvious yet are forgotten so easily.

Personally, I cant recall a specific instance where I've had extreme difficulty communicating with a particular business. At least, not to the point where I've felt that I've ever needed to vent on social media. More times that not, I can resolve whatever issue I'm having over the phone, but after reading how social media can help, it's definitely something I'll keep in mind moving forward.

Speaking from personal experience, I've never used social media to get an issue resolved. I think making a public statement about a problem or concern with a particular brand or product will get you noticed, but I think it's up the to company and how well they are "listening" as to whether or not the issue is addressed or even taken care of.

I've had some positive experiences communicating with businesses through social media. I say this hesitantly because some of the work I do in my industry, allows for this. For example, I did a sports story on horse racing, specifically a new app that allows anyone to become a part owner in a race horse. While it had a sports aspect to it, it was mainly a plug for this new business, MyRaceHorse.com. Because I featured their product and did a good job explaining it, they further promoted me on social media by retweeting my story on Twitter. That's one example, which is different than an average customer using a product and communicating positively with a business.

If it were my own business, I think I would respond to both negative and positive comments in a similar manner. If it were a negative comment, I'd do my best to address the concern, ask for feedback on how to make the product/issue better and than address the customer for taking the time to voice their concerns. If it were a positive comment, I'd thank the customer for sharing their experience and depending on the product, perhaps offer them something similar or something to check out next time. Either way, like the book mentioned, listening to your customers positive or negative comments is a key part in using social media effectively.

Again, I don't have much experience in using social media to directly confront or praise a product or some sort of service. After reading how some companies are listening though, I strongly believe I will be using social media in the future to talk, hopefully, with companies and brands.

Comments

  1. Hi Kalyn, I agree with your point about venting on social media. I am not a "squeaky wheel" and do not typically rant on social media. Venting on social media will get you attention quickly, but I agree that it does not guarantee the specific resolution you're looking for sometimes. The MyRaceHorse.com venture sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that it's important for companies to listen. I would like more companies such as restaurants to listen to the complaints on Yelp and try to correct the problem before they lose business over past bad reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kalyn I understand where you are coming from. Social media is becoming a huge factor in society that it heavily influences business owners and consumers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2A: Overview of Social Media

Week1A: My Template Choice